Frequently Asked Questions

How much do sessions cost?

Individual therapy sessions (50 minutes) are $150. Consultations for gender-affirming support letters (45 minutes) are free.

How old are your clients?

Most of my clients are 18-40, but I may see teens 16-17 with their parent or guardian's consent.

Do you accept insurance?

No, I am not in-network with any insurance companies. This is to keep all client information confidential and ensure you and I can work together to create a plan of treatment without interference from outside parties. I can provide a superbill for you to submit to your insurance company for out-of-network reimbursement. Please contact your insurance company directly to ask if your policy includes this reimbursement.

Do you offer in-person therapy?

I provide both virtual and in-person sessions at my office in Oak Forest. Vaccinated clients can choose whichever type of session they feel is best for them or their schedule. Unvaccinated clients will only be seen virtually at this time.

How much do you charge for a transgender surgery letter or HRT letter?

As a member of GALAP, I provide all gender-affirming support letters for free.

What does LPC mean?

LPC stands for "Licensed Professional Counselor." This is just one of many licenses therapists may have (LCSW, LMFT, PhD, and PsyD are others). As an LPC in Texas, I am bound to the rules and regulations of the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors which now falls under the purview of the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council. If you need to file a complaint against a mental health therapist in Texas, you can do so here.

Isn't transgender therapy illegal in Texas?

No. Despite continued attacks on trans healthcare, it is NOT illegal. The American Counseling Association, Texas Counseling Association, American Medical Association, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, and Prevent Child Abuse America all support and recognize the importance of trans-affirming care, including therapy. I can and will provide the necessary, life-saving mental health services all trans, intersex, and non-binary people deserve. If you are under 18, please contact me to find out more about accessing safe, gender-affirming services in Texas.

Do you prescribe anti-depressants or ketamine?

No. Only physicians, psychiatrists, or Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioners can prescribe psychiatric medication in Texas. If you are interested in trying medication, including ketamine, I can provide you referrals. Note: Some of my clients take medication and some don't. I support your right to choose what's best for your health. I'm happy to discuss the risks and benefits of anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds, ketamine, and other treatments so you can make an informed decision on what's best for you.

Do I need a letter to start HRT?

Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) is available in Texas using an informed consent treatment model. This means that if you are an adult, you do not need a letter from a therapist to obtain hormones. If you are a minor in Texas, you will need a letter and/or parental permission in most circumstances.

Are there any clients you won't see?

Yes. While I provide therapy to clients with all sorts of experiences and diagnoses, I do not specialize in addiction, children's therapy, eating disorders, grief, geriatric issues, or sex offender treatment, or spiritual guidance. If you're seeking support primarily for any of the above issues, I will refer you to a therapist with more appropriate expertise.

What is the No Surprises Act?

Under the No Surprises Act, clients have the right to receive a “Good Faith Estimate” explaining how much their medical care will cost. This means all healthcare providers are required to give an estimate of the bill to patients who don’t have insurance or are not using insurance.

You have the right to receive a Good Faith Estimate for the total expected cost of any non-emergency items or services. You can ask your health care provider, and any other provider you choose, for a Good Faith Estimate before you schedule an item or service. If you receive a bill that is at least $400 more than your Good Faith Estimate, you can dispute the bill. Make sure to save a copy or picture of your Good Faith Estimate. For questions or more information about your right to a Good Faith Estimate, visit or call HHS at (800) 368-1019.

Candice Holloway, LPC verified by
Proud Member of TherapyDen